[openstack-dev] Keystone Team Update - Week of 4 December 2017

Colleen Murphy colleen at gazlene.net
Fri Dec 8 17:48:56 UTC 2017

# Keystone Team Update - Week of 4 December 2017

## News

### Keystone Queens-2 Retrospective

We used our meeting time for our milestone-ly team retrospective,
which took place on Google Hangouts. We were unfortunately not able to
record the session but the Trello board reflects the discussion
topics[1].

One of the key topics that came up was the potential of moving our
roadmap management from Trello to Storyboard. Earlier advice from the
Storyboard folks advised that there would be a mass migration for all
interlinked projects, but the current evolution of the plan promotes a
more iterative approach. See the discussion on the Community Goal
governance review[2]. The major hindrance to keystone using Storyboard
is its lack of support for private bugs, which is a requirement given
that keystone is a VMT-managed project. If anyone is tired of keystone
work and wants to help the Storyboard team with that feature I'm sure
they would appreciate it! In any case, we don't want to switch our
roadmap tooling in the middle of a cycle, so we would continue to use
Trello for roadmap tracking until a cycle change.

[1] https://trello.com/b/jrpmDKtf/keystone-retrospective
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/513875/4/goals/rocky/storyboard_migration.rst@82

### Policy Meetings

The last policy meeting was pretty quiet[3]. We decided to cancel
policy meetings until after the holidays.

[3] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/policy/2017/policy.2017-12-06-16.00.log.txt

### Longer project names

We rejected Adrian's patch to extend the maximum length of project
names from 64 to 255 characters[4]. While it might initially seem like
a harmless expansion, it is actually an API breakage because it
changes a response from a 400 to a 200. Keystone does not currently
implement microversions, but we think that microversions would still
not be helpful here, for reasons I described on that patch. We'd like
to look for an alternative way to support Adrian's use case[5].

[4] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/440941/
[5] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-October/106288.html

## Open Specs

Search query: https://goo.gl/pc8cCf

We are closing in on the Limits API spec[6]. We had a good discussion
about it today[7] where we walked through some of the API
compatibility implications of whether or not to start defining and
implementing hierarchical quota models at this stage and reached a
satisfactory conclusion. We'll likely make a spec freeze exception for
this spec so that we can flesh this out fully and get feedback from
other teams.

We also have renewed interest in a feature allowing control over the
generation of project IDs[8], a request that has been independently
made by multiple groups over the years but has historically been
resisted by the keystone team.

[6] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/455709/
[7] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-dev/%23openstack-dev.2017-12-08.log.html#t2017-12-08T15:00:28
[8] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/323499/

## Recently Merged Changes

Search query: https://goo.gl/hdD9Kw

We merged 17 changes this week.

Among those are a couple of patches that push us further down our
policy roadmap:

    Enforce policy on oslo-context: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/523650/
    Add scope_types to RuleDefault objects:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/510222/

We also finally moved keystonemiddleware to using oslo.cache instead
of using the python-memcached library directly:

    Use oslo_cache in auth_token middleware:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/268664/

## Changes that need Attention

Search query:https://goo.gl/YiLt6o

There are 49 changes that are passing CI, not in merge conflict, have
no negative reviews and aren't proposed by bots, so their authors are
waiting for feedback from reviewers. Please have a look at them.

In particular, Adam has been working on finishing the is_admin_project
work: https://goo.gl/dDojbk

Lance is closing in on the system-scope implementation: https://goo.gl/2nLbVx

## Milestone Outlook

https://releases.openstack.org/queens/schedule.html

Queens-2 is today. Lance has been preparing releases for this
milestone: https://goo.gl/GQBeAi

Spec freeze is today but we'll likely make an exception for the Limits API spec.

Our next deadline is for the Feature Proposal Freeze at Rocky-10.

## Shout-outs

Thanks Harry Rybacki for leading our retrospective!

## Help with this newsletter

Help contribute to this newsletter by editing the etherpad:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/keystone-team-newsletter