[openstack-dev] [os-brick][cinder][nova] Reintroduce the StorPool driver

Peter Penchev openstack-dev at storpool.com
Fri Dec 1 18:38:47 UTC 2017

We have just restored and submitted new patchsets for the StorPool
block storage driver in the three components:
- os-brick: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/192639/
- cinder: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/220155/
- nova: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/140733/

Now, while we do realize that the milestone 1 deadline is almost upon
us, the situation is somewhat complicated: there is a large downstream
provider of managed OpenStack installations that works with a customer
that wants StorPool installed.  The managed OpenStack provider would
strongly prefer that the StorPool drivers be upstreamed before they
include them in their own distribution, so here we are with a bit of
unfortunate timing indeed.

The Cinder driver is virtually the same as the one submitted
previously (and almost the same as the one that was included and then
removed from Cinder due to our failure to resolve some problems in our
CI system).  The Nova and os-brick drivers are also virtually the same
as the ones submitted previously.  Part of the reason that we are
submitting this so close to the milestone 1 deadline is our hope that,
at least for Cinder, this may still count as a reintroduction of a
driver that was once present and not necessarily treated as a new
driver.

Our CI system is almost ready and will be up in a matter of days if
not hours (and, yes, we shall need to talk to the third-party CI list
about that, too).

Thanks in advance to everyone for their time and their work on
OpenStack, and here's hoping that there is at least a chance for the
StorPool driver to make it into the Queens release.

Best regards,
Peter