[openstack-dev] [docs] [ptls] Install guide testing

Petr Kovar pkovar at redhat.com
Tue Aug 29 15:33:56 UTC 2017

Rochelle, I like the idea. I added a new section "Thursday:
Installation Guides" to
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/docs-i18n-ptg-queens.

Everybody, if you are available on Thu and interested in install guide
testing, please sign up.

Thanks,
pk

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 20:32:38 +0000
Rochelle Grober wrote:

> Might I suggest a PTG activity such as an evening docathon?
>
> Drinks and Docs
>
> Everyone welcome to locate in some convenient location to review/test docs, converse and plan for the next dev cycle with Docs folks.  It might not be doable at this late date for Pike, but I suspect there may be some availability of folks during the PTG.  It's also a great way to tie up a release, having all the teams test the docs for the release and get a refresh of what the release is and where the next dev cycle needs to start from (yes, I know, it's actually already started, but the big plans will start from the PTG).
>
> Just a suggestion on how to spur participation.  Hope it's helpful.
>
> --Rocky
>
> > From: Doug Hellmann
> >
> > Excerpts from Alexandra Settle's message of 2017-08-25 08:57:51 +0000:
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > The documentation team is searching for volunteers to help test and
> > > verify the OpenStack installation instructions here:
> > > https://docs.openstack.org/install-guide/
> > >
> > > Previously this action has been undertaken by a series of volunteers,
> > mostly from the documentation team. However due to the migration, and a
> > significant drop in contributors, we are now seeking new individuals to help
> > us complete this task.
> > >
> > > We will be tracking any work here:
> > > https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/PikeDocTesting You can
> > > see what we have previously done for testing here:
> > > https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/OcataDocTesting
> > >
> > > PTLs of cinder/keystone/horizon/neutron/nova/glance – Previously the
> > > documentation team performed the testing tasks for your respective
> > > projects as they lived within the openstack-manuals repo. We
> > > appreciate that you may or may not have the resources to continue this
> > > effort, but it would be great if your teams are able. Please let me
> > > know if you are able to so we can verify the instructions of these
> > > projects :)
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Alex
> >
> > Thanks for starting this thread, Alex.  I want to add a little background for
> > folks only now catching up with the state of the migration initiative and
> > documentation for Pike.
> >
> > At the start of the Pike cycle we lost most of our technical writers.
> > By the time of the summit in Boston, it wasn't clear (at least to
> > me) if we would have *any* writers left at the start of the Queens cycle.
> > Luckily it seems we will, but without knowing that a few months ago I
> > encouraged the docs team to make some decisions about prioritizing work
> > that will leave us in a less than ideal, but recoverable, state for Pike.
> >
> > We started by emphasizing the need to move all of the existing content to a
> > new home so it could be maintained by more owners -- this was the aspect
> > of the migration spec that most of you will be familiar with, and with over
> [...]

Petr Kovar
Sr. Technical Writer | Customer Content Services
Red Hat Czech, Brno