[openstack-dev] [relmgt] Libraries published to pypi with YYYY.X.Z versions

Matthew Thode prometheanfire at gentoo.org
Tue Aug 29 15:30:42 UTC 2017

On 17-08-29 14:09:32, Claudiu Belu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As many of you know, during Kilo, the neutron vendor decomposition happened, which lead to the birth of many networking-* libraries, including networking-hyperv. When it was time for us to make a release for that cycle, pretty much every networking-* project followed the release version number at that time, which was 2015.1.0. After Kilo, the versioning changed to the current format.
>
> networking-hyperv currently contains the "hyperv" mechanism_driver, which is needed in order to bind neutron ports to Hyper-V compute nodes using neutron-hyperv-agent L2 agents.
>
> Now, my main issue is that networking-hyperv==2015.1.0 is currently on Pypi, and whenever someone upgrades networking-hyperv through pip (pip install -U networking-hyperv), it "upgrades" to 2015.1.0. And even if it isn't already installed, networking-hyperv==2015.1.0 is installed, as that is considered the "latest" version:
>
> (test) ubuntu at ubuntu:~$ pip freeze | grep networking-hyperv
>
> (test) ubuntu at ubuntu:~$ pip install networking-hyperv
> (test) ubuntu at ubuntu:~$ pip freeze | grep networking-hyperv
> networking-hyperv==2015.1.0
>
> This is a common pitfall for people using pip to install / upgrade networking-hyperv. It's actually become a ritual for new developers to mistakenly install the "latest" version. :)
>
> Now, my question is: could we / should we unpublish the 2015.1.0 version?
>
> [1] Kolla using pip package "networking-hyperv>=5.0.0,<6.0.0"  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/498409/1
> [1] #openstack-release: http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-release/%23openstack-release.2017-08-29.log.html#t2017-08-29T08:19:28
> [2] #openstack-release: http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-release/%23openstack-release.2017-08-29.log.html#t2017-08-29T13:20:36
>

> Best regards,
>
> Claudiu Belu

I think we have three options here.

1. Unpublish.  This is probably the simplest, but generally goes against
the policy of pypi to never unpublish things (it is not a hard and fast
rule though).

2. Rename.  A bunch of work for downstreams but technically
cleaner/better than unpublishing, allows a more consistant naming scheme
to be used if desired at least.

3. reversion.  Start new versions at 3000 or something, kinda dirty imo.

--
Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)