[openstack-dev] [openstack] [charms] Openstack with OVN

James Page james.page at ubuntu.com
Tue Aug 29 08:26:16 UTC 2017

Hi Aakash

On Tue, 29 Aug 2017 at 05:09 Aakash Kt <aakashkt0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>     Resending this mail since I think there might have been some error
> sending it the last time.
>
>    I am looking to develop an openstack bundle which uses OVN as the SDN.
> I have been reading : https://docs.openstack.org/charm-guide/latest/
> I have also read :
> https://docs.openstack.org/networking-ovn/latest/install/index.html

Awesome; we chatted about this on IRC a few times but put off any concrete
work until OVN 2.8.0 is released (soon).

As far as I understand, this will require me to replace the
> "neutron-openvswitch" charm in the openstack base bundle. However, I am not
> able to exactly understand what all I will have to rewrite / replace to
> make this work.

I think the new charm work is actually three charms (or maybe two) -
neutron-ovn (replacing neutron-openvswitch alongside nova-compute
deployments), neutron-api-ovn (providing the API only integration of the
Neutron API to OVN), and probably an ovn charm for deployment of OVN
itself, with relations <neutron-api-ovn> <-> <ovn> <-> <neutron-ovn> for
propagation of configuration in deployments.  The ODL charm set is similar
is high level design (neutron-api-odl, odl-controller, openvswitch-odl).

> Specifically, I need to make neutron work only as an API instead of the
> full blown SDN. Also, in the above doc, its mentioned that we have to run
> some setup on "controller nodes". How does the term "controller node" map
> to the charm?

Controller nodes are one option for the charms, however components of the
controller nodes are deployed inside LXD containers to provide separation
between services.  For example, you can dedicated three physical servers
and then deploy the nova-cloud-controller, neutron-api, glance, keystone,
cinder, ceilometer, heat etc.. charms in LXD containers onto those physical
machines.  So in the case of OVN, we'd look to deploy the ovn charm on
these same physical servers.

Hope that helps explain things a bit; if you want to drop into
#openstack-charms to ask more questions please do, or you can join one of
our weekly meetings and we can discuss further.  We'd normally start a
piece of work like this with a spec (
http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/charm-specs/); this topic is something
we could discuss in a bit more detail at the PTG in Denver (I'll add an
item to the agenda for the charms room).

Cheers

James