[openstack-dev] [docs] [ptls] Install guide testing

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Fri Aug 25 12:31:33 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Alexandra Settle's message of 2017-08-25 08:57:51 +0000:
> Hi everyone,
>
> The documentation team is searching for volunteers to help test and verify the OpenStack installation instructions here: https://docs.openstack.org/install-guide/
>
> Previously this action has been undertaken by a series of volunteers, mostly from the documentation team. However due to the migration, and a significant drop in contributors, we are now seeking new individuals to help us complete this task.
>
> We will be tracking any work here: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/PikeDocTesting You can see what we have previously done for testing here: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/OcataDocTesting
>
> PTLs of cinder/keystone/horizon/neutron/nova/glance – Previously the documentation team performed the testing tasks for your respective projects as they lived within the openstack-manuals repo. We appreciate that you may or may not have the resources to continue this effort, but it would be great if your teams are able. Please let me know if you are able to so we can verify the instructions of these projects :)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alex

Thanks for starting this thread, Alex.  I want to add a little
background for folks only now catching up with the state of the
migration initiative and documentation for Pike.

At the start of the Pike cycle we lost most of our technical writers.
By the time of the summit in Boston, it wasn't clear (at least to
me) if we would have *any* writers left at the start of the Queens
cycle.  Luckily it seems we will, but without knowing that a few
months ago I encouraged the docs team to make some decisions about
prioritizing work that will leave us in a less than ideal, but
recoverable, state for Pike.

We started by emphasizing the need to move all of the existing
content to a new home so it could be maintained by more owners --
this was the aspect of the migration spec that most of you will be
familiar with, and with over 1100 reviews tagged 'doc-migration' I
think it's safe to say this was the bulk of the work.

We did not completely address two important aspects of managing that
content after the migration: translations and testing.

We looked into translations far enough to know that it would be
possible to set up the jobs and build project docs in multiple
languages. We're already doing this for some other sphinx-based
docs, so we would have a pattern to work from.

I had hoped that if we had time after the import was done, we could
develop a plan for end-of-cycle-testing. That didn't happen, so we
will have to come up with a plan and execute it during Queens. No
one thinks this is a good outcome, but it's where we are. If you're
interested in helping with that work, I expect it will be a big
part of what the docs team discusses at the PTG. Spoiler alert: I
will be advocating distributing the responsibility for verifying
instructions to the project teams.

Doug

PS - By the way, most projects are finished with the migration, but
I see on the dashboard[1] that we still have quite a few open reviews
and a few missing pages. At this point, the missing docs will need
to be backported to the stable/pike branches for those projects.
Let me know if you need help approving things in the stable branches.

[1] https://doughellmann.com/doc-migration/