[openstack-dev] [tripleo] mismatch of user/group id between ovs (baremetal) and libvirt (container)

Saravanan KR skramaja at redhat.com
Wed Aug 23 06:18:54 UTC 2017

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 4:28 AM, Oliver Walsh <owalsh at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>   sed -i 's/Group=qemu/Group=42427/'
>> /usr/lib/systemd/system/ovs-vswitchd.service
>
> Can't this be overridden via /etc/systemd/system/ovs-vswitchd.service?

Yes. I just provided the changes done on a existing deployment to make
it work. I will incorporate it to templates.

>> This change basically runs ovs with group id of kolla's qemu user
>> (42427). For the solution, my opinion is that we don't require host's
>> qemu (107) user in a containerized deployment. I am planning to ensure
>> that kolla's user id (42427) is updated to the host via the host prep
>> tasks. Let me know if there is any other aspects to be considered.
>>

> Might be worth considering overriding the qemu uid/gid to 107 in the
> kolla config file instead.

Definitely it will be good for upgrade to keep the same uid/gid so
that existing DPDK based VMs continue to work after upgrade.

But any other specific reasons for sticking with same qemu uid/gid in
kolla containers? Do you foresee any particular cases related to it?

Regards,
Saravanan KR