[openstack-dev] [release] Release countdown for week R-1, August 18-25

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Aug 18 08:28:16 UTC 2017

Welcome to our regular release countdown email!

Development Focus
-----------------

We are entering the last week before release week. Focus should be on
producing the last Pike release candidates and intermediary releases,
including updated translations and requirements updates.

If your team attends the PTG in Denver, you should also be actively
preparing the topics for discussion at the event.

Actions
----------

For *cycle-with-intermediary* deliverables, the Pike release will be the
last-released version. If you need to release a newer version, you need
to do it before August 24. After that date we can't guarantee inclusion
in the Pike release, and will fall back to the last-released version.

The following deliverables still did not have /any/ release during the
Pike cycle and urgently need to make one (and ask for the stable/pike
branch to be cut from it). If we don't have anything by the deadline,
the release team will have to either force a release, or remove the
deliverable from Pike:

- ceilometer, panko
- magnum, magnum-ui
- senlin-dashboard
- tacker

As a reminder, asking for a release and corresponding stable/pike branch
is done by modifying the deliverable Pike release file in the
openstack/releases repository and adding:
  - projects:
      - hash: YOURHASH
        repo: openstack/YOURPROJECT
    version: YOUR.NEW.VERSION
branches:
  - location: YOUR.NEW.VERSION
    name: stable/pike

The following deliverables do have an intermediary release in Pike but
still haven't asked for a stable/pike branch to be cut. If we don't have
a stable/pike branch by the deadline, the release team will branch from
the last-available intermediary release:

- aodh
- instack-undercloud
- kuryr-kubernetes
- manila-ui
- neutron-fwaas-dashboard
- swift
- tacker-horizon

As a reminder, asking for the stable/pike branch to be cut from an
already-released Pike version is done by modifying the deliverable Pike
release file in the openstack/releases repository and adding:

branches:
  - location: YOUR.LAST.PIKEVERSION
    name: stable/pike

For *cycle-with-milestones* deliverables, early next week you should
make sure to merge the latest translations patches[1] and latest
requirements patches[2], and ask for a last release candidate before the
Pike release. As a reminder, asking for a new RC is done by modifying
the deliverable Pike release file in the openstack/releases repository
and adding:

  - projects:
      - hash: YOURHASH
        repo: openstack/YOURPROJECT
    version: YOURVERSION.0.0.0rc2

[1]
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+branch:stable/pike+topic:zanata/translations

[2]
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+branch:stable/pike+topic:openstack/requirements

Upcoming Deadlines & Dates

Deadline for last release candidates / intermediary releases: August 24
Final Pike release: August 30
Queens PTG in Denver: Sept 11-15

As usual come find us on #openstack-release IRC channel if you have any
questions or concerns.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)