[openstack-dev] [all][api] POST /api-sig/news

michael mccune msm at redhat.com
Thu Aug 17 17:25:24 UTC 2017

Greetings OpenStack community,

This week's meeting centered around two main topics; the Guided Review
Process[0] and the inclusion of guidance to discourage extension
usage[4]. As the working group has now become a Special Interest Group,
we have begun the work of changing the documentation and infra services
over to use the new naming (with many thanks to Ed Leafe).

The Guided Review Process document has been accepted by the SIG as a
document describing an activity that we will be hosting at PTG events,
and also as requested by teams. Emails will be sent out this week to all
the project PTLs with instructions about the review process and how they
can be prepared to participate at the Queens PTG. If you have not seen
this document yet, you can find it in the review[0], or on the API-SIG
specs site[2] once it is redeployed.

Work on the guidance to discourage extension usage[4] continues and
there have been some comments by members of the community to help drive
this process along. This topic continues to be a tricky discussion, but
the SIG is making progress in defining a guideline that will be ready
for community approval. As with last week, we still haven't fully
decided how these issues will be explained, but we are getting closer
and continue to hold the ideal that extension URIs are not helpful for
creating interoperable APIs.

On the topic of the PTG, there was some minor discussion about what we
will be talking about beyond guided reviews but this is still in the
nascent stages. Stay tuned for more information about the API-SIG PTG
events.

# Newly Published Guidelines

None this week.

# API Guidelines Proposed for Freeze

Guidelines that are ready for wider review by the whole community.

None this week

# Guidelines Currently Under Review [3]

* Explain, simply, why extensions are bad
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/491611/

* A (shrinking) suite of several documents about doing version and
service discovery
   Start at https://review.openstack.org/#/c/459405/

* WIP: microversion architecture archival doc (very early; not yet ready
for review)
   https://review.openstack.org/444892

# Highlighting your API impacting issues

If you seek further review and insight from the API WG, please address
your concerns in an email to the OpenStack developer mailing list[1]
with the tag "[api]" in the subject. In your email, you should include
any relevant reviews, links, and comments to help guide the discussion
of the specific challenge you are facing.

To learn more about the API WG mission and the work we do, see OpenStack
API Working Group [2].

Thanks for reading and see you next week!