[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Proposal to require bugs for tech debt

Alex Schultz aschultz at redhat.com
Wed Aug 16 00:46:49 UTC 2017

Hey folks,

I'm proposing that in order to track tech debt that we're adding in as
part of development that we create a way to track these items and not
approve them without a bug (and a reference to said bug)[0].  Please
take a moment to review the proposed policy and comment. I would like
to start this for the queens cycle.

A real world example of where this would beneficial would be the
workaround we had for buggy ssh[1]. This patch was merged 6 months ago
to work around an issue in ssh that was recently fixed. However we
would most likely never have remembered to revert this. It was only
because someone[2] spotted it and mentioned it that it is being
reverted now.

Thanks,
-Alex

[0] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/494044/