[openstack-dev] [distributions][devstack][requirements] Upper constraints broken in stable/ocata on CentOS 7/RHEL 7

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Tue Aug 15 01:06:41 UTC 2017

On Mon, Aug 14, 2017, at 05:58 PM, Arun SAG wrote:
> Hi,
>
> RHEL/CentOS 7 released new libvirt packages (upgraded from 2.x to 3.x)
> which broke bootstrapping devstack on stable/ocata branch. I have a
> review
> up here to fix this in upper-requirements.txt
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/491032/
>
> On the review i was asked to check if upgrading to libvirt-python 3.5.0
> will break any distributions, Is there a way to reach out to people
> running
> various distributions officially? If there are distro/vendor liaisons in
> this list, can you help me by reaching out to your internal teams to
> check
> whether it is okay to upgrade libvirt-python to 3.5.x in stable/ocata?
>
> Thanks
> --
> Arun S A G
> http://zer0c00l.in/

My understanding is newer libvirt-python is supposed to work with older
libvirt. And on master we (the gate) use new libvirt-python (3.5.0)
against older libvirt (2.5.0) on Ubuntu Xenial which seems to support
this. My hunch is this bump should be perfectly fine, people will just
have to rebuild libvirt-python if installing from source. Not a bad idea
to get more confirmation though.

Clark