[openstack-dev] [all] Secrets of edit-constraints

Csatari, Gergely (Nokia - HU/Budapest) gergely.csatari at nokia.com
Mon Aug 14 08:36:33 UTC 2017

Hi,

I have an interesting situation with the parametrization of edit-constraints in tools/tox_install.sh. This happens at the moment in neutron-lib, but as amotoki pointed out in [1] the same should happen in any projects (and actually was happening with me in Vitrage and Mistral).

Here is what I experience:
With the current parameters of edit-constraints (edit-constraints $localfile -- $LIB_NAME "-e file://$PWD#egg=$LIB_NAME") the library itself (neutron-lib in this case) is added to upper-constraints.txt and the installation fails with "Could not satisfy constraints for 'neutron-lib': installation from path or url cannot be constrained to a version".
If I modify the parameters of edit-constraints in a way that it removes the library (neutron-lib in this case) instead of adding (edit-constraints $localfile $LIB_NAME --) it my build succeeds (as I'm playing with api-ref I use tox -r -e api-ref, but the same also happens with tox -r -e pep8).

Is this happening with only me?

Thanks,
Gerg0

[1]: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/492158/1