[openstack-dev] [tc] Technical Committee Status update, August 11th

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Aug 11 10:11:59 UTC 2017

Hi!

This is the weekly update on Technical Committee initiatives. You can
find the full list of all open topics at:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/TechnicalCommittee

== Recently-approved changes ==

* Pike goals updates: barbican
* Removed repositories: installguide-cookiecutter
* New repositories: watcher-tempest-plugin, charm-gnocchi,
charm-interface-gnocchi, charm-interface-ceph-client

Not much TC activity again this week as everyone is focused on producing
Pike release candidates.

== Leaderless project teams ==

We have[1] two teams (3.4% of the total of teams) where nobody stepped
up to take the Project Team Lead position for the Queens cycle: Storlets
and Packaging-Deb. Following process[2], the Technical Committee will
look for and directly appoint a volunteer (or move the team off the
official OpenStack project team list if it has no further activity).

[1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-August/120915.html
[2]
https://governance.openstack.org/tc/resolutions/20141128-elections-process-for-leaderless-programs.html

In the case of Packaging-Deb, a transition is actually under way[3] to
bring it back after Pike to Debian project infrastructure, closer to
where Debian maintainers live and usually collaborate, so it's unlikely
that the Technical Committee will appoint anyone for Queens.

[3]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-August/120581.html

For Storlets, the project has been a lot less active lately. I've been
reaching out to the two main recent contributors to get a more accurate
picture of their plans, so that we can take a decision there.

== Open discussions ==

Flavio just refreshed his resolution about allowing teams to host
meetings in their own IRC channels, please see it at:

https://review.openstack.org/485117

>From the latest reviews, it looks like John's resolution on how
decisions should be globally inclusive could use a new patchset (or be
morphed into project-team-guide material). Please review it if you
haven't yet:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/460946/

Trove's status:maintenance-mode addition is WIP until Queens opens,
which should happen very soon now. One question is whether Trove is now
past the low point, and setting the tag would convey the wrong message
for a recovering project. Please join the discussion if you have an opinion:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/488947/

== Voting in progress ==

John's description of "what upstream support is" reached majority votes
a couple of days ago. It will be approved early on Tuesday unless new
objections are raised and votes are changed:

https://review.openstack.org/440601

Emmet's rewording of the leaderless project resolution seems to be
non-contentious, missing a few votes to pass:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/492578/

== TC member actions for the coming week(s) ==

All TC members should have a close look on Storlets team status to make
up their mind on what to do with it in Queens.

Flavio still needs to incorporate feedback in the "Drop TC meetings"
proposal and produce a new patchset, or abandon it since we pretty much
already implemented the described change.

== Need for a TC meeting next Tuesday ==

It feels like things are progressing slowly, with office hours and
general #openstack-tc discussions to nudge them forward. Therefore I
don't think we need a synchronous TC meeting next week. Let me know if
you'd still like to have one and the topic you would like to see discussed.

Cheers!

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)