[openstack-dev] [python-openstacksdk] Status of python-openstacksdk project

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Aug 4 08:24:43 UTC 2017

Michael Johnson wrote:
> I was wondering what is the current status of the python-openstacksdk
> project.  The Octavia team has posted some patches implementing our new
> Octavia v2 API [1] in the SDK, but we have not had any reviews.  I have also
> asked some questions in #openstack-sdks with no responses.
> I see that there are some maintenance patches getting merged and a pypi
> release was made 6/14/17 (though not through releases project).  I'm not
> seeing any mailing list traffic and the IRC meetings seem to have ended in
> 2016.
>
> With all the recent contributor changes, I want to make sure the project
> isn't adrift in the sea of OpenStack before we continue to spend development
> time implementing the SDK for Octavia. We were also planning to use it as
> the backing for our dashboard project.
>
> Since it's not in the governance projects list I couldn't determine who the
> PTL to ping would be, so I decided to ping the dev mailing list.
>
> My questions:
> 1. Is this project abandoned?
> 2. Is there a plan to make it an official project?
> 3. Should we continue to develop for it?

Thanks for raising this.

Beyond its limited activity, another issue is that it's not an official
project while its name make it a "default choice" for a lot of users
(hard to blame them for thinking that
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/python-openstacksdk is not the
official Python SDK for OpenStack, but I digress). So I agree that the
situation should be clarified.

I know that Monty has pretty strong feelings about this too, so I'll
wait for him to comment.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)