[openstack-dev] [Horizon][Nova] Editing flavor causing instance flavor display error

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Thu Aug 3 14:44:19 UTC 2017

On 08/03/2017 04:21 AM, Sean Dague wrote:
> On 08/03/2017 06:13 AM, Zhenyu Zheng wrote:
>> I was thinking, the current "edit" in Horizon is delete-and-create, and
>> it is there maybe just because
>> flavor has many fields, user may want to have a new flavor but just
>> modify one of the old flavor, so
>> they don't want to manually copy all other fields. And it is the
>> automatic delete action that causes
>> all the problem. Maybe horizon can provide a copy-and-modify action and
>> leave the deletion of
>> the flavor to the admin.
>
> For what it is worth, it is already an admin level permission.
>
> I do think that "Copy and Modify" is a better paradigm. Or "New Flavor
> based on X" which will prefill based on an existing one.
>
> The Delete flavor button should come with a giant warning of "This will
> make a lot of information in your environment confusing, you should
> never do this".

The same could also be said for flavor extra-specs (which can be modified
in-place).  Once they're configured and the flavor is made public it would be
best to leave them untouched otherwise you could end up confusing people if the
behaviour of the "same" flavor changes due to extra-specs changes.

Chris