[openstack-dev] [nova][docs] Concerns with docs migration

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Wed Aug 2 15:52:30 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Stephen Finucane's message of 2017-08-02 16:35:23 +0100:
> On Wed, 2017-08-02 at 09:28 -0600, Chris Friesen wrote:
> > >
> > > This is a tricky one. Based on previous discussions with dhellmann, the
> > > plan
> > > seems to be to replace any references to 'nova xxx' or 'openstack xxx'
> > > commands
> > > (i.e. commands using python-novaclient or python-openstackclient) in favour
> > > of
> > > 'curl'-based requests. The idea here is that the Python clients are not the
> > > only clients available, and we shouldn't be "mandating" their use by
> > > referencing them in the docs. I get this, though I don't fully agree with
> > > it
> > > (who really uses curl?)
> >
> > Are we going to document the python clients elsewhere then?
>
> I think the docs would go into the respective python clients docs?

Right. I don't remember the details of the curl discussion, but I
think what I was trying to say there was that the "nova" command
line tool installed via python-novaclient should be documented as
part of the openstack/python-novaclient repo rather than openstack/nova.
A CLI reference for nova-manage, which I think is in openstack/nova,
could be documented in openstack/nova.

Basically, put the docs with the code, which is the whole point of this
migration.

Doug