[openstack-dev] [Cinder] Requirements for re-adding Gluster support

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Wed Aug 2 12:04:15 UTC 2017

Thanks to everyone who replied! I'll try to summarize what we'll try to
get from the Gluster Community users that run OpenStack.

- find an owner/maintainer for the Gluster driver in Cinder
  little maintenance seems needed, no recent problems reported

- get someone to maintain the gate job(s) in a CI environment of their
  own choosing (OpenStack Infra, Gluster Community, CentOS CI, ..)

- send a patch to revert the change for removing the driver from Cinder

- send a patch to revert the change for removing the driver from Nova

With these tasks I'll try to find some of the OpenStack users in the
Gluster Community that want to volunteer for this. There are a few
Gluster developers (from Red Hat) that can assist these volunteers, but
developers working for Red Hat will not have this as a priority. It
falls in the "support the Gluster Community" bucket, and community users
will need to do most of the work. This is similar for any of the other
Open Source projects where Gluster is not productized by Red Hat.

A similar approach by Red Hat developers working on Cinder caused the
volume driver to be removed. We hope that interested users will step up
and offer their time.

Please let me know if I missed something or if this approach is
unacceptible or unclear.

Cheers,
Niels