[openstack-dev] [openstack-ansible][security] To firewalld, or not to firewalld

Mark Goddard mark at stackhpc.com
Wed Aug 2 08:57:00 UTC 2017

In my previous job we had to build a firewall solution for our OpenStack
control plane. Our research found that firewalld may have a habit of
'fighting' against the rules added by certain OpenStack services. This was
over a year ago, so things may have changed. We didn't pursue firewalld as
a solution, so perhaps these issues are non-existent or surmountable.

The solution we built used a conf.d/ mechanism layered on top of iptables.
An advantage of this approach is that operators or co-resident software
stacks could add their own rules to the firewall. AFAIK, this is not
generally possible when using iptables-save/restore as it relies on a
single configuration file which must be 'owned' by something - in this case
presumably OSA.

I'm not suggesting that you reimplement the solution I've described, but it
does outline one benefit of firewalld - OSA would not need to entirely own
the firewall configuration.