[openstack-dev] [all][ptl][docs] adding redirects for moved pages

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue Aug 1 16:32:12 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Doug Hellmann's message of 2017-08-01 12:29:38 -0400:
> When we started the doc-migration projects we knew that moving all
> of the content around would break a lot of external links. We said
> we would deal with it if we had time at the end of the cycle. We
> have put the changes into place to allow us to do that now. I'm
> going to explain it here, and answer questions in this thread, and
> then take the results and put them into the docs contributor guide.
>
> 1. Add a .htaccess file to your repo.
>
> The first step is to add the configuration file Apache needs to know
> what the redirect rules are, .htaccess. We have a global file in the
> openstack-manuals repository but in the spirit of not making the docs
> team a bottleneck for doc-related changes we have also configured
> Apache to allow a .htaccess file in each project's documentation.

I should add that we *only* allow Redirect and RedirectMatch rules in
these files, and that we are relying on review teams to avoid adding
rules that break access to their docs or redirect off-site. Reviewers,
please, be careful.

Doug