[openstack-dev] [gnocchi] per-sack vs per-metric locking tradeoffs

gordon chung gord at live.ca
Fri Apr 28 15:36:45 UTC 2017

On 28/04/17 10:11 AM, Julien Danjou wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 28 2017, gordon chung wrote:
>
>> refresh i believe is always disabled by default regardless of what
>> interface you're using.
>
> You gotta to show me where it is 'cause I can't see that and I don't
> recall any option for that. :/

https://github.com/openstack/gnocchi/commit/72a2091727431555eba65c6ef8ff89448f3432f0

although now that i check, i see it's blocking by default... which means
we did guarantee all measures would be return.

>> in the case of cross-metric aggregations, this is a timeout for entire
>> request or per metric timeout? i think it's going to get quite chaotic
>> in the multiple metric (multiple sacks) refresh. :(
>
> Right I did not think about multiple refresh. Well it'll be a nice
> slalom of lock acquiring. :-)
>
>> i'm hoping not to have a timeout because i imagine there will be
>> scenarios where we block trying to lock sack, and when we finally get
>> sack lock, we find there is no work for us. this means we just added x
>> seconds to response to for no reason.
>
> Right, I see your point. Though we _could_ enhance refresh to first
> check if there's any job to do. It's lock-free. Just checking. :)

hmmm. true. i'm still hoping we don't have to lock an entire sack for
one metric and not return an error status just because it can't lock.
doesn't seem like a good experience.

--
gord