[openstack-dev] [nova] notification update week 16

Balazs Gibizer balazs.gibizer at ericsson.com
Mon Apr 24 08:04:47 UTC 2017

Hi,

Here is the status update / focus setting mail about notification work
for week 16.

Bugs
----
[Medium] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1657428 The instance
notifications are sent with inconsistent timestamp format. We need to
iterate more on the solution I updated last week.
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/421981

Versioned notification transformation
-------------------------------------
The volume_attach and detach notifications are still in focus to support
Searchlight switching to the versioned notifications. Both are ready for
core review:
* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/401992/ Transform
instance.volume_attach notification
* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/408676/ Transform
instance.volume_detach notification
* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/455801/ Transform
instance.volume_attach.error notification

Searchlight integration
-----------------------
changing Searchlight to use versioned notifications
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/searchlight/+spec/nova-versioned-notifications
bp is a hard dependency for the integration work.

The path on Searchlight side https://review.openstack.org/#/c/453352/
evolves gradually. That code gives feedback about the usability of the
versioned interface from consumer perspective. Current versioning
schema that use separate versions per even_type and separate
independent ve
rsions per subobjects in the payloads makes the interface flexible but
harder to consume. See some of my comments in PS5 on the above patch
for details. Also Searchlight code still need to do some transformation
between notification fields and API fields to match them up.

bp additional-notification-fields-for-searchlight
Besides volume_attach and volume_detach we need the following patches to
help Searchlight integration:
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+topic:bp/additional-notification-fields-for-searchlight

The debate about adding the tags to the instance payload now seems to
moving to the direction of adding the tags only to instance.create and
instance.update. This means that the related patch needs to be reworked.

Patches only needs a second +2:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/419185/ Adding auto_disk_config field
to InstancePayload
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/407228/ add tags field to
instance.update notification

The keypairs patch also up to date and ready for review:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/419730/
We still need to work on the https://review.openstack.org/#/c/448779/
(Add BDM to InstancePayload) path from testing point of view.

Weekly meeting
The notification subteam holds it's weekly meeting on Tuesday 17:00 UTC
on openstack-meeting-4 so the next meeting will be held on 25th of
April.
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20170425T170000

Cheers,
gibi