[openstack-dev] [kolla] [daisycloud-core]Do we really need to upgrade pbr, docker-py and oslo.utils

Jeffrey Zhang zhang.lei.fly at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 01:21:33 UTC 2017

imo, we should follow global requirements restrict and upgrade the package
when
openstack/requirements upgrade it.

several reason.

1. Even if you do not co-install kolla with other project, it also affect
the distro packaging.
   For example RDO package kolla now and we should provide a good
requirements.txt for them.
   And we do not prevent user to co-install kolla with other project too.

2. requirements upgrade may related to vulnerable bug.

3. It is hard to maintain the requirements for kolla with
project/requirements.

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 11:45 AM, <hu.zhijiang at zte.com.cn> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> As global requirements changed in Ocata, Kolla upgrads pbr>=1.8 [1] ,
>
> docker-py>=1.8.1[2] . Besides, Kolla also starts depending on
>
> oslo.utils>=3.18.0 to use uuidutils.generate_uuid() instead of
> uuid.uuid4() to
>
> generate UUID.
>

> IMHO, Upgrading of [1] and [2] are actually not what Kolla really need to,
>
> and uuidutils.generate_uuid() is also supported by oslo.utils-3.16. I mean
>
> If we keep Kolla's requirement in Ocata as what it was in Newton, upper
> layer
>
> user of Kolla like daisycloud-core project can still keep other things
> unchanged
>
> to upgrade Kolla from stable/newton to stable/ocata. Otherwise, we have to
>
> upgrade from centos-release-openstack-newton to
>
> centos-release-openstack-ocata(we do not use pip since it conflicts with
> yum
>
> on files installed by same packages). But this kind of upgrade may be too
>
> invasive that may impacts other applications.
>

> I know that there were some discusstions about global requirements update
>
> these days. So if not really need to do these upgrades by Kolla itself, can
>
> we just keep the requirement unchanged as long as possible?
>

> My 2c.
>

> [1] https://github.com/openstack/kolla/commit/
> 2f50beb452918e37dec6edd25c53e407c6e47f53
>
> [2] https://github.com/openstack/kolla/commit/
> 85abee13ba284bb087af587b673f4e44187142da
>
> [3] https://github.com/openstack/kolla/commit/
> cee89ee8bef92914036189d02745c08894a9955b
>

> B. R.,
>
> Zhijiang

Regards,
Jeffrey Zhang