[openstack-dev] [nova] Reflections on the pike-1 milestone

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 18:18:44 UTC 2017

On 4/20/2017 2:01 AM, Maish Saidel-Keesing wrote:
> Just as a matter of interest - from the numbers above you say 62
> blueprints approved - was this only for this cycle - or *up until* this
> cycle.
>
> When you mention several up for review - can you elaborate on exact
> numbers?
>
> I am not looking to 'monitor' activity - but for me it would be
> interesting to understand - what the workload is actually like. If the
> ratio of 'incoming work' (blueprints) vs. completed/in-review is 62:3
> then to me - this seems to be something that needs to be addressed.
>
> Or am I misunderstanding the comment above?

That means 62 blueprints approved for Pike (this cycle). This does not
mean the code is merged and the blueprint is completed. It means we
agreed on the design proposal and can move forward with code for the
blueprint.

Several up for review means there are approved blueprints with code
ready for review (they have started, or are more than just a POC). These
numbers are probably low right now, but all blueprints targeted for Pike
[1] with Delivery status of "Needs Code Review" is what I'm referring to
here, which is currently 38.

As for incoming work, and the ratio you point out, is not unusual in the
first milestone before we do our spec freeze, where we then stop
accepting new blueprint proposals for the release so we can focus on
implementing and reviewing what we've already planned to do.

If you want a much more detailed explanation of the numbers and trends,
I provided that after the Ocata release [2].

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/pike
[2]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-February/111639.html

Matt