[openstack-dev] [cinder]Should os-brick update iSCSI node.startup to "automatic"?

Rikimaru Honjo honjo.rikimaru at po.ntt-tx.co.jp
Wed Apr 19 07:56:24 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I reported a following bug of os-brick's iSCSI feature and pushed a patch for it.

* os-brick's iscsi initiator unexpectedly reverts node.startup from "automatic" to "manual".
   https://bugs.launchpad.net/os-brick/+bug/1670237

The patch got -2, but I think that this -2 is based on a misunderstanding.
I explained it on gerrit, but there were no reactions.
So I'd like to hear your opinions!

The important points of the report/patch are,

* Executing "iscsiadm -m discovery..." forcibly reverts node.startup from
   "automatic" to default value "manual".
   os-brick executes that command.
   And, current os-brick also updates node.startup to "automatic".
   As a result, automatic nodes and manual nodes are mixed now.

My opinion for the above issue,

* No one needs node.startup=automatic now.
   os-brick users[1] create/re-create iSCSI sessions when they need it.
   So "manual" is enough.
* Therefore, IMO, os-brick shouldn't update node.startup to "automatic".
* If by any chance someone needs node.startup=automatic, he should set default value
   as "automatic" in iscsi.conf.

[1]e.g. nova,cinder...

Regards,
--