[openstack-dev] [tc][election] Questions for Candidates

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Apr 13 09:14:08 UTC 2017

Kendall Nelson wrote:
> -What is one trait you have that makes it difficult to work in groups
> like the TC and how do you counteract it?

I dislike conflict, and would always like everyone to win. I consider
most people in this community as good friends and I like when they are
all happy. This drives me to look for solutions that accommodate
everyone in our community, which are not necessarily the best technical
solution. That said, I've been getting better at saying "no" and having
hard discussions lately. It's just a natural bias I need to be aware of,
and keep under control.

> - What do you see as the biggest roadblock in the upcoming releases for
> the TC?

As others have mentioned, I think our biggest challenge is to handle the
drop in contributions, or rather handle the transition from an era of
too many contributors to an era of not enough contributors. Our
challenge used to be to handle the growth and not collapse under the
in-take. Our new challenge is to scale back to more "normal" levels of
contribution, focus more, operate horizontal services with less humans,
and transition from a mostly vendor-driven contributor base to a more
balanced contributor base. This will require tweaking a few old rules,
and facilitating direct involvement from users (which we have plenty of)
in development.

> And one lighthearted question:
>
> -What is your favorite thing about OpenStack?

Beyond the awesome community, the shared openness values and principles,
I like the social experiment. OpenStack upstream project governance is
pretty unique, being under control of the contributors with all-elected
leadership positions, and no paid-for seats. I think this ownership
feeling is one of the reasons that make people attached to the project,
beyond the organization they are affiliated with. This model is not
without flaws, but I believe it's a good long-term model, and would
definitely like to see where it goes.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)