[openstack-dev] [nova][cinder] Can all non-Ironic compute drivers handle volume size extension?

Mathieu Gagné mgagne at calavera.ca
Wed Apr 12 17:02:50 UTC 2017

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 12:58 PM, Matt Riedemann <mriedemos at gmail.com> wrote:

> I guess we also have the instance action events. So we could avoid putting
> the instance into ERROR state but record an instance action event that the
> extend volume event failed on the compute, so at least the user/admin could
> figure out why it didn't change on the nova side.
>
> What they do after that I'm not sure. Would detaching and then re-attaching
> the now resized volume fix it?

There are 2 steps to the volume size extension: iscsi --rescan and
virsh blockresize.
As an admin, you could call the same API endpoint to retrigger all of
those steps.
If iscsi --rescan succeeds but virsh blockresize fails, stopping and
starting the instance will fix the issue.
This is the step we asked our customer to perform before virsh
blockresize was added to our implementation.

--
Mathieu