[openstack-dev] [heat] New resource implementation workflow

Norbert Illés norbert.e.illes at ericsson.com
Tue Apr 11 12:33:48 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

Me and two of my colleagues are working on adding Neutron Trunk support
to Heat. One of us working on the resource implementation, one on the
unit tests and one on the functional tests. But all of these looks like
a big chunk of work so I'm wondering how can we divide them into smaller
parts.

One idea is to split them along life cycle methods (create, update,
delete, etc.), for example:
  * Implement the resource creation + the relevant unit tests + the
relevant functional tests, review and merge these
  * implementing the delete operation + the relevant unit tests + the
relevant functional tests, review and merge these
  * move on to implementing the update operation + tests... and so on.

Lastly, when the last part of the code and tests merged, we can document
the new resource, create templates in the heat-templates etc.

Is this workflow sounds feasible?

I mostly concerned about the fact that there will be a time period when
only a half-done feature merged into the Heat codebase, and I'm not sure
if this is acceptable?

Has anybody implemented a new resource with a team? I would love to hear
some experiences about how others have organized this kind of work.

Cheers,
Norbert