[openstack-dev] [tripleo] container jobs are unstable

Dan Prince dprince at redhat.com
Fri Apr 7 21:23:37 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2017-04-06 at 15:32 -0400, Paul Belanger wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 11:01:08AM -0400, Paul Belanger wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 03:08:57PM +0100, Steven Hardy wrote:
> > > To be fair, we discussed this on IRC yesterday, everyone agreed
> > > infra
> > > supported docker cache/registry was a great idea, but you said
> > > there was no
> > > known timeline for it actually getting done.
> > >
> > > So while we all want to see that happen, and potentially help out
> > > with the
> > > effort, we're also trying to mitigate the fact that work isn't
> > > done by
> > > working around it in our OVB environment.
> > >
> > > FWIW I think we absolutely need multinode container jobs, e.g
> > > using infra
> > > resources, as that has worked out great for our puppet based CI,
> > > but we
> > > really need to work out how to optimize the container download
> > > speed in
> > > that environment before that will work well AFAIK.
> > >
> > > You referenced https://review.openstack.org/#/c/447524/ in your
> > > other
> > > reply, which AFAICS is a spec about publishing to dockerhub,
> > > which sounds
> > > great, but we have the opposite problem, we need to consume those
> > > published
> > > images during our CI runs, and currently downloading images takes
> > > too long.
> > > So we ideally need some sort of local registry/pull-through-cache
> > > that
> > > speeds up that process.
> > >
> > > How can we move forward here, is there anyone on the infra side
> > > we can work
> > > with to discuss further?
> > >

> > Yes, I am currently working with clarkb to adress some of these
> > concerns. Today
> > we are looking at setup our cloud mirrors to cache[1] specific
> > URLs, for example
> > we are trying testing out http://trunk.rdoproject.org  This is not
> > a long term
> > solution for projects, but a short. It will be opt-in for now,
> > rather then us
> > set it up for all jobs.  Long term, we move rdoproject.org into
> > AFS.
> >
> > I have been trying to see if we can do the same for docker hub, and
> > continue to
> > run it.  The main issue, at least for me, is we don't want to
> > depend on docker
> > tooling for this. I'd rather not install a docker into our control
> > play at this
> > point in time.
> >
> > So, all of that to stay, it will take some time. I understand it is
> > a high
> > priority, but lets solve the current mirroring issues with tripleo
> > first (RDO,
> > gems, github), and lets see if the apache cache proxy with work for
> > hub.docker.com too.
> >
> > [1] https://review.openstack.org/451554
>
> Wanted to follow up to this thread, we managed to get a reverse proxy
> [...]

Thanks for your help in this Paul.

A reverse proxy cache wasn't exactly what I was expecting so it took a
few more patches to get all this initially wired into the TripleO OVB
jobs (6 patches so far). Once we have this we can duplicate a similar
setup for the multinode patches as well.

I created a quick etherpad below [1] to track the status of these
patches. I think they mostly need to land in the order they are listed
in the etherpad...

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tripleo-docker-registry-mirror