[openstack-dev] [tripleo] pingtest vs tempest

Andrea Frittoli andrea.frittoli at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 12:44:09 UTC 2017

I don't really have much context in what the decision is going to be based
on here,
so I'll just add some random comments here and there.

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 12:48 PM Arx Cruz <arxcruz at redhat.com> wrote:

> Having tempest running will allow these jobs to appear in openstack-health
> system as well.

I agree that's a plus. It's also rather easy to produce subunit from
whatever you
are using to run tests, and that's all you need in fact to get data into
open stack-health
without touching the existing infrastructure. So in case you decide not to
use Tempest,
open stack-health can still be on the list.

> On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 1:29 PM, Justin Kilpatrick <jkilpatr at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
> Maybe I'm getting a little off topic with this question, but why was
> Tempest removed last time?
>
> I'm not well versed in the history of this discussion, but from what I
> understand Tempest in the gate has
> been an off and on again thing for a while but I've never heard the
> story of why it got removed.
>
> On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 7:00 AM, Chris Dent <cdent+os at anticdent.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, 6 Apr 2017, Sagi Shnaidman wrote:
> >
> >> It may be useful to run a "limited edition" of API tests that maximize
> >> coverage and don't duplicate, for example just to check service working
> >> basically, without covering all its functionality. It will take very
> >> little
> >> time (i.e. 5 tests for each service) and will give a general picture of
> >> deployment success. It will cover fields that are not covered by
> pingtest
> >> as well.

We have a smoke attribute here an there, but it's not well curated at all,
so you're
probably better off maintaining your own list.
Since presumably you're more interested in verifying that a deployed cloud
is
functional - as opposed to verify specific APIs are working properly - you
may want
to look at scenario tests, where with a couple of test you can cover
already a lot of
basic stuff, e.g. if you can boot a server from a volume with an image from
glance,
and ssh into it, you have proven a lot already about the general health of
your cloud.