[openstack-dev] [nova][cinder] reason(s) for not booting instances from (bootable) volumes

Matthew Booth mbooth at redhat.com
Fri Sep 30 12:25:47 UTC 2016

Nothing architectural that I can think of, we just don't support it.
Rebuild current takes an image, but I guess it could reasonable take most
of the arguments to spawn. We'd have to think hard about what it meant for
arguments to be present/omitted, i.e. are we specifying new disks, or
redefining old ones, but if the intent could be represented in the api it
could certainly be implemented.

Matt

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 12:32 PM, Tikkanen, Viktor (Nokia - FI/Espoo) <
viktor.tikkanen at nokia.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I refer here to my question sent earlier to AskOpenstack:
>
> https://ask.openstack.org/en/question/97425/why-it-is-not-
> possible-to-rebuild-an-instance-from-a-bootable-volume/
>
> Are there some (architectural, performance, security etc.) reasons why
> rebuilding instances from (bootable) volumes is not implemented/supported?
>
> -Viktor

Matthew Booth

Phone: +442070094448 (UK)