[openstack-dev] TC candidacy

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Wed Sep 28 19:59:09 UTC 2016

On Wed, 28 Sep 2016, Jim Rollenhagen wrote:

>>> +1 to release notes or something of that like. i was asked to give an
>>> update on the TC internally and it seems the only information out there
>>> is to read through backlog of meeting logs or track the items that do
>>> get raised to ML. even then, it's hard to define what deliverables were
>>> achieved in the cycle.
>>>

>> FWIW, the resolutions that passed are listed here:
>> https://governance.openstack.org/
>
> And the git tree, with a changelog, is here:
> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/governance/

I assume, but I'd prefer if he confirm, that the point gordc was
trying to make was that there's more to what the TC gets up to than
merging changes to governance. That's certainly a major aspect and
one can track those changes by tracking both of those resources.

Part of the point I was trying to make in the message to which gordc was
responding is that whereas a git tree can allow someone to dig through
and acquire details, a thing that is more like release notes[1] is far
more human oriented and more likely to operate as a consumable digest of
what has happened. Notably a git log will not reflect important
conversations that did not result in a governance change nor activity
that could have led to a governance change but was rejected. Certainly
where a community says "no" is just as important as where it says "yes"?
Further, merged changes are changes that have already been decided. We
need more engagement, more broadly, while decisions are being
considered. That means being more verbose, sooner.

[1] Note that I don't actually think that release notes is the proper
form for some extra communication from the TC. Rather the justifications
that lead some projects to add release notes, in addition to the git
log, are something to consider for TC activity.

--
Chris Dent               ┬─┬ノ( º _ ºノ)        https://anticdent.org/