[openstack-dev] [kolla] the user in container should NOT have write permission for configuration file

Sam Yaple samuel at yaple.net
Mon Sep 26 19:18:04 UTC 2016

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 3:03 PM, Christian Berendt <
berendt at betacloud-solutions.de> wrote:

> > On 26 Sep 2016, at 16:43, Sam Yaple <samuel at yaple.net> wrote:
> >
> > So this actually makes it _less_ secure. The 0600 permissions were
> chosen for a reason.  The nova.conf file has passwords to the DB and
> rabbitmq. If the configuration files are world readable then those
> passwords could leak to an unprivileged user on the host.
>
> Confirmed. Please do not make configuration files world readable.
>
> We use volumes for the configuration file directories. Why do we not
> simply use read only volumes? This way we do not have to touch the current
> implementation (files are owned by the service user with 0600 permissions)
> and can make the configuration files read only.

This is already done. When I first setup the config bind mounting we did
make sure it was read only. See [1]. The way configs work in Kolla is the
files from that readonly bind mount are copied into the appropriate
directory in the container on container startup.

[1]
https://github.com/openstack/kolla/blob/b1f986c3492faa2d5386fc7baabbd6d8e370554a/ansible/roles/nova/tasks/start_compute.yml#L11