[openstack-dev] [neutron] [sahara] Unable to ping virtual machines with floating IPs

Sudipta Biswas sbiswas7 at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Sep 26 07:08:13 UTC 2016

Hi,

I am trying an OpenStack Sahara based on OpenStack Mitaka (Lab
experiment) - using a single controller and compute node.

The controller node is running inside a virtual machine on top of the
compute node. (This runs Sahara as well)
The controller node has two interfaces - one public via br0 (LB) on the
compute node and one private via br-ex (ovs). Both the IPs are reachable
from the controller to the compute host. I use the public interface as
the management network.

I run the neutron-l3-agent with br-ex (configured with 192. range) as
the external_bridge on the compute host.
I see that the neutron router port state for the 192. network remains in
BUILD state, even though the interfaces (namespaces) are all created
properly on the compute node and even the router IPs are reachable.

I am running the neutron-openvswitch-agent with bridge_mappings set to
default:br-ex
I have created an External FLAT network on the controller with the same
subnet range as br-ex (that is 192.x.x.x) to use as floating ips.

The reason I did this is because, I don't have free floating public IPs
- hence I created a network topology that looks kind of like below:

On this, everytime I boot a virtual machine - and attach a floating IP
(192. range) - the IP doesn't ping.
However, if I restart the iptables on the compute node (that runs the
l3-agent and the openvswitch agent) - the floating IP becomes pingable
and I also can login to the virtual machine from either the controller
or the compute node.

Can someone help me understand this behavior?

Thanks,
Sudipto