[openstack-dev] [ptl] code churn and questionable changes

Clay Gerrard clay.gerrard at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 21:34:13 UTC 2016

FWIW, No, this is *not* just an problem for OpenStack

https://youtu.be/wf-BqAjZb8M?t=531

^ Raymond Hettinger

Ultimately the problem is mis-aligned goals between the individual and the
project maintainers.  They want to "do stuff" and get a change landed; we
want to maximize the positive results for the project with our limited
available time.

But I caution you not to allow yourself to conflate their effort (while
borderline unhelpful to project/maintainers) as "bad" - they don't owe us
anything.  As long as blasting out a bunch of bugs and non-material changes
get them a few "commits in OpenStack" there is probably actual honest to
goodness reasons for that behavior to continue.

Go ahead and try to evaluate each change as best you can on it's own
merits.  Be friendly and helpful.  If you -2 provide *context*.  Point them
at canned materials you have for new contributors!

But, don't get your hopes up that any of these folks are going to "come
around".

-Clay