[openstack-dev] [kolla][fuel][tripleo] Reference architecture to deploy OpenStack on k8s

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Thu Sep 22 20:55:34 UTC 2016

Flavio,

Apologies for delay in response – my backlog is large.

Forgive me if I parsed your message incorrectly.  It came across to me as “How do I blaze a trail for OpenStack on Kubernetes?”.  That was asked of me personally 3 years ago which led to the formation of the Kolla project inside Red Hat.  Our initial effort at that activity failed.  Instead we decided kubernetes wasn’t ready for trailblazing in this space and used a far more mature project (Ansible) to solve the “OpenStack in Containers” problems and build from there.

We have since expanded our scope to re-solve the “How do I blaze a trail for Openstack on Kubernetes?” question since Kubernetes is now ready for this sort of trailblazing.  Fuel and several other folks decided to create derived works of the Kolla community’s innovations in this area.  I would contend that Fuel didn’t need to behave in such a way because the Kolla community is open, friendly, mature, diversely affiliated, has a reasonable philosophy and good set of principles as well as a strong leadership pipeline.

Rather than go blaze a trail when one already exists or create a derived work, why not increase your footprint in Kolla instead?  Red Hat has invested in Kolla for some time now, and their footprint hasn’t magically disappeared over night.   We will give you what you want within reasonable boundaries (the boundaries all open-source projects set of their contributors).  We also accept more work than the typical OpenStack project might, so it’s not like you will have to bring donuts into the office for every patch you merge into Kolla.

As to your more direct question of reference architecture, that is a totally loaded term that I’ll leave untouched.

To answer your question of “Does Kolla have a set of best practices” the answer is yes in kolla-ansible and kolla itself and strongly forming set of best practices in kolla-kubernetes.

Regards
-steve