[openstack-dev] [nova] Can all virt drivers provide a disk 'id' for the diagnostics API?

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Sep 22 18:54:21 UTC 2016

Sergey is working on a spec to use the standardized virt driver instance
diagnostics in the os-diagnostics API. A question came up during review
of the spec about how to define a disk 'id':

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/357884/2/specs/ocata/approved/restore-vm-diagnostics.rst@140

The existing diagnostics code doesn't set a disk id in the list of disk
dicts, but I think with at least libvirt we can set that to the target
device from the disk device xml.

The xenapi code for getting this info is a bit confusing for me at
least, but it looks like it's possible to get the disks, but the id
might need to be parsed out (as a side note, it looks like the
cpu/memory/disk diagnostics are not even populated in the
get_instance_diagnostics method for xen).

vmware is in the same boat as xen, it's not fully implemented:

https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/64cbd7c51a5a82b965dab53eccfaecba45be9c27/nova/virt/vmwareapi/vmops.py#L1561

Hyper-v and Ironic virt drivers haven't implemented
get_instance_diagnostics yet.

Matt Riedemann