[openstack-dev] [all][summit][kolla] Returning one workroom session to the foundation

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Thu Sep 22 18:23:32 UTC 2016

OpenStack summit planning team,

We have been planning summit for approximately 2-3 months here:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/kolla-O-summit-planning

We further codified this into a vote via civs:
http://civs.cs.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/results.pl?id=E_8368e1e74f8a0049

As you can see from the preliminary voting results, a strong majority of topics are of high interest to Kolla’s community of operators and developers.  We have no shortage of things to design and plan.  We made a request to the foundation for the space we thought was appropriate.  I knew Barcelona was going to be constrained on space when I made the room allocation request, but I wasn’t aware of how constrained space really was.  As a result of seeing the summit room allocations here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TQ-RSlbiBBEclkonIbfUP7R1ExZSJylF1uiEKV2G_Cw/pubhtml?gid=1107826458&single=true

I feel it is the right thing to do to return at least 1 workroom session to the summit organizers for use using their good judgement.  I would have liked to return 2 work room sessions given the space constraints in Barcelona and the rapidly growing nature of big tent project additions.  I feel that returning more than 1 would hamper our planning ability and the core team is in agreement.

The session we would like to return to the foundation is the Kolla Workroom Session Wednesday 3:05-3:45 session.  We have no conflicts in this time slot and aren’t returning it as a result of some conflict in the core team’s schedule that I am aware of.  I also believe the time slot and day are really fantastic (Wednesday – when people are fresh – 3pm after lunch settles) (from my 4+ years of planning summits for various projects).  My hope it is put to good use, perhaps to give an emerging technology project some planning time at summit.

I leave the decision of how the improved room availability may be used at the discretion of the summit organizers.  All that said, if the summit organizers are satisfied with the current room allocation, we will put that slot to good use if it can’t be used by others in the OpenStack community.

Thanks!
-steve