[openstack-dev] [tripleo][ci] Temporary increase for the OVB undercloud instance memory

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Thu Sep 22 15:56:20 UTC 2016

On 09/22/2016 09:36 AM, Gabriele Cerami wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As reported on this bug
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/tripleo/+bug/1626483
>
> HA gate and periodic jobs for master and sometimes newton started to
> fail for errors related to memory shortage. Memory on undercloud
> instance was increased to 8G less than a month ago, so the problem
> needs a different approach to be solved.

Which was a pretty significant jump for 6 GB before that.  Part of the
motivation for going to 8 was to move us in line with the rest of the
infra Jenkins instances, so it would not be ideal to change it again.

> We have some solutions in store. However, with the release date so
> close, I don't think it's time for this kind of changes. So I thought
> it could be a good compromise to temporarily increase the undercloud
> instance memory to 12G, just for this week, unless there's a rapid way
> to reduce memory footprint for heat-engine (usually the biggest memory
> consumer on the undercloud instance)

This is fine for CI and the handful of us who have beefy development
machines, but are we really at a point now where our memory usage
_requires_ 12 GB on the undercloud and somewhere north of 6 GB on the
overcloud nodes (we're also getting quite a few OOMs on overcloud nodes
in HA deployments lately, with 6 GB instances)?  For an HA deployment,
that means 40 GB of memory just for the VMs, assuming 7 GB overcloud
nodes.  And _that's_ without ceph or the ability to test scaleup
or...you get the idea.

Our developer hardware situation is bad enough as it is.  Requiring a 64
GB box just to do one of the most common deploy types feels untenable to
me.  Would providing a worker config that reduces the number of worker
processes be sufficient to keep us at 8 GB?  We just added a similar
thing to tripleo-heat-templates for the overcloud, so I think that would
be reasonable.

Mostly we have to stop bloating the memory usage of even basic
deployments.  It took us less than a month to use up the extra 2 GB we
gave ourselves last time.  That's not a good trend. :-/