[openstack-dev] [nova][stable/liberty] Backport impasse: "virt: set address space & CPU time limits when running qemu-img"

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Thu Sep 22 14:58:06 UTC 2016

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 12:48:49PM +0200, Kashyap Chamarthy wrote:
> The said patch in question fixes a CVE[x] in stable/liberty.
>
> We currently have two options, both of them have caused an impasse with
> the Nova upstream / stable maintainers.  We've had two-ish months to
> mull over this.  I'd prefer to get this out of a limbo, & bring this to
> a logical conclusion.
>
> The two options at hand:
>
> (1) Nova backport from master (that also adds a check for the presence
>     of 'ProcessLimits' attribute which is only present in
>     oslo.concurrency>=2.6.1; and a conditional check for 'prlimit'
>     parameter in qemu_img_info() method.)
>
>     https://review.openstack.org/#/c/327624/ -- "virt: set address space
>     & CPU time limits when running qemu-img"

Conclusion: After discussion and analysis on this thread, especially
Tony's response here[*], we went the route of option (1) above, and it
is now merged in stable/liberty

    http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/nova/commit/?h=stable/liberty&id=6bc37dc

Jeremy said (on #openstack-stable) he's going to follow up on the bug
for the security advisory.

Thanks everyone!

[*]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-September/104303.html