[openstack-dev] [kolla][fuel][tripleo] Reference architecture to deploy OpenStack on k8s

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Thu Sep 22 11:04:59 UTC 2016

Greetings,

I've recently started looking into the container technologies around OpenStack.
More specifically, I've been looking into the tools that allow for deploying
OpenStack on containers, which is what I'm the most interested in right now as
part of the TripleO efforts.

I'm familiar with the Kolla project and the tools managed by this team. In fact,
TripleO currently uses kolla images for the containerized nova-compute
deployment.

I am, however, looking beyond a docker based deployment. I'd like to explore in
more depth a Kubernetes based deployment of OpenStack. I'm familiar with both
kolla-kubernetes and fuel-ccp, their structure and direction*. Both projects
have now advanced a bit in their implementations and made some decisions.

As someone that started looking into this topic just recently, I'd love to see
our communities collaborate more wherever possible. For example, it'd be great
to see us working on a reference architecture for deploying OpenStack on
kubernetes, letting the implementation details aside for a bit. I'd assume some
folks have done this already and I bet we can all learn more from it if we work
on this together.

So, let me go ahead and ask some further questions here, I might be missing some
history and/or context:

- Is there any public documentation that acts as a reference architecture for
  deploying OpenStack on kubernetes?
- Is this something the architecture working group could help with? Or would it
  be better to hijack one of kolla meetings?

The restult I'd love to see from this collaboration is a reference architecture
explaining how OpenStack should be run on Kubernetes.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to see us collaborate more on this area,
Flavio

* thanks to all fuel and kolla contributors that helped me understand better the
  work in each of these projects and the direction they are headed
.
--
@flaper87
Flavio Percoco