[openstack-dev] [nova][stable/liberty] Backport impasse: "virt: set address space & CPU time limits when running qemu-img"

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Thu Sep 22 06:25:00 UTC 2016

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 02:05:51PM -0400, Sean Dague wrote:

> Well, the risk profile of what has to be changed for stable/liberty
> (given that all the actual code is buried in libraries which have tons
> of other changes). Special cherry-picked library versions would be
> needed to fix this without openning up a ton of risk for breaking
> stable/liberty badly.
> That is the bit of work that no one seems to really have picked up.

So to clearly describe the work you touch on here:

We have:
 * global-requirements.txt:
    origin/stable/liberty : oslo.concurrency>=2.3.0         # Apache-2.0
 * upper-constraints.txt
    origin/stable/liberty : oslo.concurrency===2.6.1
 * compatible oslo.concurrency releases:
    2.3.0, 2.4.0, 2.5.0, 2.6.0 and 2.6.1(patched)

So to be sure that all liberty consumers have a reasonably simple update we'd
need to create:
    2.3.1, 2.4.1 and 2.5.1
releases of oslo.concurrency

To achieve this we'd need to create a 3 short lived feature branches in
oslo.concurrency and (I'm guessing) some CI changes so we can merge/release
these versions.

We'd also need to update global-requirements.txt to:

This update would be propagated to all projects:

Package      : oslo-concurrency [oslo-concurrency>=2.3.0] (used by 30 projects)
Re-Release   : 5 projects
Included in  : 17 projects
Also affects : 8 projects

(The expanded list is at http://paste.openstack.org/show/582499/)

I haven't looked into the state of the libraries that need a re-release, but my
guess is that they'll have knock on effects if we're going to do this properly.

There's a reason we call this kind of thing a tangled web of onions.

I suppose the most flexible solution would be to:

1. Release the .1 versions
2. Leave global-requirements.txt
2. Add the patch to nova to with with/without the fix
3. Write appropriate words in the OSSN/OSSA

That gives deployers plenty of packages they can work with and public backports
of the fixes.  Yes g-r would be sub-optimal but the only thing that needs the
fix will function with any of the versions listed.

.... Time passes ....

So I checked and the cherry-picks to 2.[345].0 are trivial so I think I just
talked myself around to taking the nova fix now we can decide if we do all the
.1 releases later

Yours Tony.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 473 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/attachments/20160922/f0eb6352/attachment.pgp>

More information about the OpenStack-dev mailing list