[openstack-dev] [security] [salt] Removal of Security and OpenStackSalt project teams from the Big Tent

Davanum Srinivas davanum at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 21:08:23 UTC 2016

Jakub,

Please see below.

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 3:46 PM, Jakub Pavlik <jakub.pavlik at tcpcloud.eu> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> it took us 2 years of hard working to get these official. OpenStack-Salt is
> now used by around 40 production deployments and it is focused very on
> operation and popularity is growing. You are removing the project week after
> one of top contributor announced that they will use that as part of
> solution. We made a mistakes, however I do not think that is reason to
> remove us. I do no think that quality of the project is measured like this.
> Our PTL got ill and did not do properly his job for last 3 weeks, but this
> can happen anybody.
>
>  It is up to you. If you think that we are useless for community, then
> remove us and we will have to continue outside of this community. However
> growing successful use cases will not be under official openstack community,
> which makes my feeling bad.

Data points so far are:
1. No response during Barcelona planning for rooms
2. Lack of candidates for PTL election
3. No activity in the releases/ repository hence no entries in
https://releases.openstack.org/
4. Meetings are not so regular?
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/openstack_salt/2016/ (supposed
to be weekly)
5. Is the specs repo really active?
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/openstack-salt-specs/ is the
work being done elsewhere?
6. Is there an effort to add stuff to the CI jobs running on openstack
infrastructure? (can't seem to find much
http://codesearch.openstack.org/?q=salt&i=nope&files=zuul%2Flayout.yaml&repos=project-config)

I'll stop here and switch to #openstack-salt channel to help work you
all through if there is a consensus/willingness from the
openstack-salt team that there's significant work to be done. If you
think you are better off not on the governance, that would be your
call as well.

Thanks,
Dims