[openstack-dev] [security] [salt] Removal of Security and OpenStackSalt project teams from the Big Tent

Morgan Fainberg morgan.fainberg at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 17:18:58 UTC 2016

On Sep 21, 2016 09:37, "Adam Lawson" <alawson at aqorn.com> wrote:

> But something else struck me, the velocity and sheer NUMBER of emails
that must be filtered to find and extract these key announcements is tricky
so I don't fault anyone for missing the needle in the haystack. Important
needle no doubt but I wonder if there are more efficient ways to ensure
important info is highlighted.

> My knee jerk idea is a way for individuals to subscribe to certain topics
that come into their inbox. I don't have a good way within Gmail to
sub-filter these which has been a historical problem for me in terms of
awareness of following hot topics.

> //adam
>

> Adam Lawson
>
> AQORN, Inc.
> 427 North Tatnall Street
> Ste. 58461
> Wilmington, Delaware 19801-2230
> Toll-free: (844) 4-AQORN-NOW ext. 101
> International: +1 302-387-4660
> Direct: +1 916-246-2072
>
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 9:28 AM, Adam Lawson <alawson at aqorn.com> wrote:
>>
>> You know something that struck me, I noticed there were several teams
last cycle that did not elect a PTL so this round I was watching to see if
any teams did not have a PTL elected and presumed it was because of many of
the reasons surfaced in previous emails in this thread including being
heads down, watching other channels and potentially insufficient numbers of
individuals interested in the PTL role.

>> So I waited and noticed Astara, Security and a handful of other projects
did not have a PTL elected so I picked Astara because I am an OpenStack
architect who specializes in SDN, security and distributed storage and
applied. Of course I missed the deadline by about 2 hours but Security was
another project I was interested in.

>> So all this said, there are individuals interested in the PTL role to
ensure project teams have someone handling the logistics and coordination.
My issue however was that I was not yet eligible to be a candidate which
I'll remedy moving forward.

>> I'm still interested in serving as a PTL for a project that needs one. I
personally believe that in the case of Security, there needs to be a
dedicated team due to the nature and impact of security breaches that
directly influence the perception of OpenStack as a viable cloud solution
for enterprises looking (or re-looking) at it for the first time.

>> I'm not a full-time developer but an architect so I am planning to open
a new discussion about how PTL candidates are currently being qualified.
Again, different thread.

>> For this thread, if there is a concern about PTL interest - it's there
and I would be open to helping the team in this regard if it helps keep the
team activity in the OpenStack marquee.

>> //adam
>>

>> Adam Lawson
>>
>> AQORN, Inc.
>> 427 North Tatnall Street
>> Ste. 58461
>> Wilmington, Delaware 19801-2230
>> Toll-free: (844) 4-AQORN-NOW ext. 101
>> International: +1 302-387-4660
>> Direct: +1 916-246-2072
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 8:56 AM, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Excerpts from Filip Pytloun's message of 2016-09-21 14:58:52 +0200:

>>> Seems like we need a bit added to this process which makes sure big tent
>>> projects have their primary IRC channel identified, and a list of core
>>> reviewer and meeting chair IRC nicks to ping when something urgent comes
>>> up. This isn't just useful for elections, but is probably something the
>>> VMT would appreciate as well, and likely anyone else who has an urgent
>>> need to make contact with a team.
>>>
>>> I think it might also be useful if we could make the meeting bot remind
>>> teams of any pending actions they need to take such as elections upon
>>> #startmeeting.
>>>
>>> Seems like all of that could be automated.

For what it is worth the VMT had some discussion about this and in the case
the security team was/is dissolved/moved to a WG we will take some action
and make some proposals to handle the situation so we have a nice place to
continue within the community. One idea that was floated would be to become
our own small (release team sized) team.

However, if security is continuing to exist, I am content to stay where we
are (I cannot speak to the views of Fungi, Tristan, and Grant though).

Cheers,
--Morgan