[openstack-dev] [oslo][nova] Anyone interested in writing a policy generator sphinx extension?

Joshua Harlow harlowja at fastmail.com
Wed Sep 21 16:02:18 UTC 2016

Andrew Laski wrote:
> However, I have asked twice now on the review what the benefit of doing
> this is and haven't received a response so I'll ask here. The proposal
> would add additional latency to nearly every API operation in a service
> and in return what do they get? Now that it's possible to register sane
> policy defaults within a project most operators do not even need to
> think about policy for projects that do that. And any policy changes
> that are necessary are easily handled by a config management system.
>
> I would expect to see a pretty significant benefit in exchange for
> moving policy control out of Nova, and so far it's not clear to me what
> that would be.

One way to do this is to setup something like etc.d or zookeeper and
have policy files be placed into certain 'keys' in there by keystone,
then consuming projects would 'watch' those keys for being changed (and
get notified when they are changed); the project would then reload its
policy when the other service (keystone) write a new key/policy.

https://coreos.com/etcd/docs/latest/api.html#waiting-for-a-change

or
https://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/r3.4.5/zookeeperProgrammers.html#ch_zkWatches

or (pretty sure consul has something similar),

This is pretty standard stuff folks :-/ and it's how afaik things like
https://github.com/skynetservices/skydns work (and more), and it would
avoid that 'additional latency' (unless the other service is adjusting
the policy key every millisecond, which seems sorta unreasonable).

-Josh