[openstack-dev] [security] [salt] Removal of Security and OpenStackSalt project teams from the Big Tent

Filip Pytloun filip.pytloun at tcpcloud.eu
Wed Sep 21 15:43:46 UTC 2016

Hello,

> With 59 separate teams, even emailing the PTLs directly is becoming impractical. I can’t imagine trying to email all of the core members directly.
>
> A separate mailing list just for “important announcements” would need someone to decide what is “important”. It would also need everyone to be subscribed, or we would have to cross-post to the existing list. That’s why we use topic tags on the mailing list, so that it is possible to filter messages based on what is important to the reader, rather than the sender.

So maybe call it openstack-organization or openstack-teams or something
to focus on organizational topics.
Using tags and filters is also a way but may not be suitable for
everyone.

> I don’t see any releases listed on https://releases.openstack.org/independent.html either. Are you tagging releases, yet?

Yes, we've done a few releases, see eg. openstack/salt-formula-nova
releases here: https://github.com/openstack/salt-formula-nova/releases

I don't know why it's not listed on releases.openstack.org page.

> I see no emails tagged with [salt] on the mailing list since March of this year, aside from this thread. Are you using a different communication channel for team coordination? You mention IRC, but how are new contributors expected to find you?

Yes, we are using openstack-salt channel and openstack meetings over
IRC. This channel is mentioned eg. in readme here [1] and community
meetings page [2] which are on weekly basis (logs [3]).

We also had a couple of people comming to team IRC talking to us about project
so I believe they can find the way to contact us even without our heavy
activity at openstack-dev (which should be better as I admitted).

[1] https://github.com/openstack/openstack-salt
[2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/openstack-salt
[3] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/openstack_salt/2016/

> > Of course I don't want to excuse our fault. In case it's not too late,
> > we will try to be more active in mailing lists like openstack-dev and
> > not miss such important events next time.
> >
> > [1] http://stackalytics.com/?module=openstacksalt-group
> >
> > -Filip
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 12:23 PM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi everyone,
> >>
> >> As announced previously[1][2], there were no PTL candidates within the
> >> election deadline for a number of official OpenStack project teams:
> >> Astara, UX, OpenStackSalt and Security.
> >>
> >> In the Astara case, the current team working on it would like to abandon
> >> the project (and let it be available for any new team who wishes to take
> >> it away). A change should be proposed really soon now to go in that
> >> direction.
> >>
> >> In the UX case, the current PTL (Piet Kruithof) very quickly reacted,
> >> explained his error and asked to be considered for the position for
> >> Ocata. The TC will officialize his nomination at the next meeting,
> >> together with the newly elected PTLs.
> >>
> >> That leaves us with OpenStackSalt and Security, where nobody reacted to
> >> the announcement that we are missing PTL candidates. That points to a
> >> real disconnect between those teams and the rest of the community. Even
> >> if you didn't have the election schedule in mind, it was pretty hard to
> >> miss all the PTL nominations in the email last week.
> >>
> >> The majority of TC members present at the meeting yesterday suggested
> >> that those project teams should be removed from the Big Tent, with their
> >> design summit space allocation slightly reduced to match that (and make
> >> room for other not-yet-official teams).
> >>
> >> In the case of OpenStackSalt, it's a relatively new addition, and if
> >> they get their act together they could probably be re-proposed in the
> >> future. In the case of Security, it points to a more significant
> >> disconnect (since it's not the first time the PTL misses the nomination
> >> call). We definitely still need to care about Security (and we also need
> >> a home for the Vulnerability Management team), but I think the "Security
> >> team" acts more like a workgroup than as an official project team, as
> >> evidenced by the fact that nobody in that team reacted to the lack of
> >> PTL nomination, or the announcement that the team missed the bus.
> >>
> >> The suggested way forward there would be to remove the "Security project
> >> team", have the Vulnerability Management Team file to be its own
> >> official project team (in the same vein as the stable maintenance team),
> >> and have Security be just a workgroup rather than a project team.

> [...]

Filip Pytloun
Cloud Architect

[tcp ◕ cloud]

tcp cloud a.s.
Thamova 16, 180 00  Prague 8

Mobile: +420 776 004 323
E-mail: filip.pytloun at tcpcloud.eu
GPG:    3802 93B1 6CA8 C7A0 695B  8B28 6808 239B 9C72 E61B
Web:    http://www.opentcpcloud.org/