[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Setting kernel args to overcloud nodes

Saravanan KR skramaja at redhat.com
Wed Sep 21 10:13:24 UTC 2016

I have been working on the user-data scripts (first-boot) for updating
the kernel args on the overcloud node [1]. The pre-condition is that
the kernel args has to be applied and node has to be restarted before
os-net-config runs.

I got in to problem of provisioning network not getting ip after the
reboot in the user-data script. While investigating, figured out that
network.service starts the nodes on the alpha-numeric order, on which
the first nic is not the one used for provisioning. network.service
initiates a DHCP DISCOVER on it, when it times out, network.service
goes to failed state and all other interfaces are DOWN state. If i
manually bring the interface up (via ipmi console), then all proceeds
fine without any issue.

To overcome this issue, I have written a small script to find out the
provisioning network via metadata (metadata has the mac address of the
provisioning network) and make BOOTPROTO=none on all other interface's
ifcfg files except the provisioning network. There still an issue of
IP not ready at the time of querying metadata, temporarily added a
sleep which solves it. The user-data script [1] has all these fixes
and tested on an baremetal overcloud node.

If anyone has a better way of doing it, you are more than welcome to suggest.

Regards,
Saravanan KR

[1] https://gist.github.com/krsacme/1234bf024ac917c74913827298840c1c