[openstack-dev] [stackalytics] [deb] [packaging] OpenStack contribution stats skewed by deb-* projects

Ilya Shakhat ishakhat at mirantis.com
Tue Sep 20 20:30:58 UTC 2016

Hi,

tldr; Commits stats are significantly skewed by deb-* projects (
http://stackalytics.com/?metric=commits&module=packaging-deb-group)

By default Stackalytics processes commits from project's master branch. For
some "old core" projects there is configuration to process stable branches
as well. If some commit is cherry-picked from master to stable it is
counted twice in both branches / releases. The configuration for stable
branch is simple - branch starting with branching point (e.g. stable/newton
that starts with rc1)

In deb-* projects master branch corresponds to upstream Debian community.
All OpenStack-related contribution goes into debian/<release> branch. But
unlike in the rest of OpenStack, git workflow differs and the branch
contains merge commits from master. This makes filtering "pure" branch
commits from those that came from master quite tricky (not possible to
specify the branch-point). And support of this will require changes in
Stackalytics code.

Since currently we are at the time when people may get nervous about
numbers, I'd suggest to temporary hide all commits from deb-* projects and
revise stats processing in a month.

Thanks,
Ilya