[openstack-dev] [cinder] moving driver to open source

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Sep 20 08:23:18 UTC 2016

Alon Marx wrote:
> Thank you ALL for clearing up this issue.
>
> To sum up the discussion (not going into too many details):
> From legal stand point, if one uses python libraries they should be part
> of the community or confirming with the relevant licenses
> (http://governance.openstack.org/reference/licensing.html). If one is
> not using python libraries (e.g. rest, command line, etc.) the
> non-python executable is considered legitimate wherever it is running.
> From deployment stand point the desire is to have any piece of code that
> is required on an openstack installation would be easily downloadable.
>
> We understand the requirements now and are working on a plan taking both
> considerations into account.

I wouldn't say that the situation is cleared up -- we still need to get
our act together and present a more uniform response to that question
across multiple projects. But AFAICT your summary accurately represents
the current Cinder team position on that matter.

I hope we'll be able to hold a cross-project workshop on that question
in Barcelona, so that we further clear up what is appropriate in-tree,
as a separate project team and as an external project, across all of
OpenStack.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)