[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Network Template Generator

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Mon Sep 19 20:37:40 UTC 2016

On 09/09/2016 10:28 AM, Liz Blanchard wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 7:10 PM, Ben Nemec <openstack at nemebean.com
> <mailto:openstack at nemebean.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 08/10/2016 11:05 AM, Liz Blanchard wrote:
>     >
>     >
>     > On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 11:52 AM, Ben Nemec <openstack at nemebean.com <mailto:openstack at nemebean.com>
>     > <mailto:openstack at nemebean.com <mailto:openstack at nemebean.com>>> wrote:
>     >
>     >     On 08/08/2016 09:22 PM, Dan Prince wrote:
>     >     > On Mon, 2016-08-08 at 15:42 -0500, Ben Nemec wrote:
>     >     >> This is something that has existed for a while, but I had been
>     >     >> hesitant
>     >     >> to evangelize it until it was a little more proven.  At this point
>     >     >> I've
>     >     >> used it to generate templates for a number of different environments,
>     >     >> and it has worked well.  I decided it was time to record another demo
>     >     >> and throw it out there for the broader community to look at.  See
>     >     >> details on my blog:
>     >     >>
>     http://blog.nemebean.com/content/tripleo-network-isolation-template-g <http://blog.nemebean.com/content/tripleo-network-isolation-template-g>
>     <http://blog.nemebean.com/content/tripleo-network-isolation-template-g
>     <http://blog.nemebean.com/content/tripleo-network-isolation-template-g>>
>     >     >> enerator
>     >     >>
>     >     >> Most of what you need to know is either there or in the video itself.
>     >     >> Let me know what you think.
>     >     >
>     >     > Very cool. For those that don't like "hand cutting" their own network
>     >     > configuration templates this is a good CLI based generator.
>     >     >
>     >     > Like you mention it would be nice to eventually converge this tool
>     >     > somehow into both the UI and CLI but given that it works with older
>     >     > releases as well it makes sense that it is CLI only for now.
>     >
>     >     Yeah, my assumption is that at some point the UI will have similar
>     >     functionality.  Ideally the UI would replace this entirely, but I
>     >     suspect that's a ways off and we'll have to see how it plays out for
>     >     people doing CLI installs.
>     >
>     >
>     > Speaking of which...I'd love to work closely with you, Ben, to put
>     > together a wireframe design for the TripleO UI to support something like
>     > what you've done here. It looks awesome and I'd love to understand the
>     > use cases a bit more and how it might work into the current UI flow.
>     >
>     > I do have a first draft of a design that allows for some network
>     > configuration that I'd love to get folks thoughts on:
>     > https://invis.io/UM87J4NBQ
>     >
> [...]

I've been a little swamped since I got back myself, so I'm just getting
back to this.

I left a few comments on the screens, but mostly it looks reasonable to
me.  I also wrote up something about the standalone tool here:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tripleo-net-iso-user-stories (it didn't
end up being written as user stories, but I didn't think it was worth
changing the pad name over :-).

Of course, let me know if/when you have new mockups that you want me to
take a look at.

-Ben