[openstack-dev] [kolla][release] Branching of stable/newton

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Sat Sep 17 18:20:56 UTC 2016

Release team,

At one point Doug had indicated all projects would automatically branch on tagging of rc1.  I notice in git no Kolla stable/newton branch exists. Fwiw this is actually a good thing, because 33 patches have merged since rc1 relating to things that need to go into Newton, dramatically reducing the amount of backport work we need to do.  Part of this was error on my part – not validating all FFE blueprints that were marked Implemented were actually implemented.  One related to monitoring (and part of the 33 patches since rc1) was actually “Needs Review” rather than Implemented (as it was marked).

I don’t want Kolla to be a special snowflake wrt release processes, and we can live with a branch on rc1.  A branch on rc2 would be far better for us as we have roughly 250 bugs to triage or fix.  I leave it in the release team’s capable judgement to decide best on a course of action.

I would request that the expected time of branch be communicated clearly to us for the Newton cycle.  I have been communicating with our team that rc1 is where we branch.  Folks are now asking “where is the Newton branch of Kolla?”

Thanks!
-steve